The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Contraindication to ESWT

Hi,

Please can you let me know your thoughts on whether ESWT is a contraindication or not for patients with insertional tendinopathies (ie the ESWT will potentially be targeting bone as well as the tendon) who have either osteopenia or osteoporosis?

Kind Regards

Anne-Marie Hutchison (Physiotherapist Morriston Swansea)

Anne-Marie Hutchison

3 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

several people have asked this over the last year or so. As has already been said, I can't see that there are any issues if you are using low power and/or radial shockwave. I too would be cautious if using high power / focussed. Tim

luisef258
luisef258

Hi, Anne-Marie In my understanding ESWT is a vast, inaccurate designation that encompasses high and low energy density SWT. Low energy density SWT, such as radial ones, are not connoted with osteolysis effects, and may even be a process of promoting osteogenesis. On the other hand as they are normally applied on the tendons / fascias / muscle also the potential deleterious effect is reduced. As for the high-energy SWT, such as focal ones, they do have destructive capacity and can therefore be contraindicated in the situations mentioned. In these sites you can find more interesting references: Https://www.shockwavetherapy.org/about-eswt/indications/ http://agfisicos.com Hope it helps Regards

Last updated 3 months ago

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: