The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Contraindications for Radial Shockwave Therapy (RSWT)

I have had great successes treating Chronic conditions with this modality. Recently I examined a 12 year old elite athlete. He was experiencing 2 year history of bilateral heel pain, examination revealed signs and symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis. Typically I would resort to RSWT for this condition because of previous successes. However, I had reservations so wanted to research contraindications using this modality with someone who has active epiphysis. My research revealed little regarding contraindications, can you help clarify contraindications using this modality?

Terry Redmond

1 month ago

Back to Contraindications Channel

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

I had a look through this topic again yesterday in response to another query, and like Cliff, can see no issues so long as you are using radial / low power shockwave. Caution would be prudent if you are directing high power / focussed directly over an active growth plate, but I assume this is not your intent. Tim

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Lohrer et al (2012) published a paper sucessfully trialling ESWT for Osgoods Schlatters with a mean subject age of 14 years. Last year (2016) the group followed up on the subject group and as far as I am aware no-one reported having had any adverse reaction to having had shockwave over their growth plates. The ISMST concensus statement do not contraindicate growth plates for low energy Radial or Focused Shockwave. Only for high energy focused shockwave. You may well find manufacturers contraindicating growth plates in their supporting hand books. This is due to their having to demonstrate that it will not cause harm before being awarded a licence to sell their prodcuts. I hope this information is of benefit Cliff

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: