The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Deep oscillation??

They are trying to sell me this thing. Is it any good? The literature is scarce...

Georgi Petrov

1 week ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

thanks for the reference links - appreciated. Tim

luisef258
luisef258

I'm with Tim, the electrostatic mechanisms appears to be effective and might generate a deep "massage" and the related fisiológic effects. High quality research will be welcome. Take a peek here to see some articles I've collected on deep oscilation. http://agfisicos.com/category/agentes-fisicos-electrophysical-agents/eletrostatica-electrostatic/ .

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

When I first came across the device, I thought it was going to be another 'short lived' gimmick, but it turns out to be better than that. There are a slowly growing number of research papers on its clinical application. Several relate to lymphoedema treatments where it appears to be effective. The other 'popular' area is in sports medicine and acute injury treatment. Given that the patient is 'insulated' from the current flow, the mechanisms appears to be electrostatic, but a deep oscillation or deep 'massage' type effect is a perfectly reasonable way to describe what is happening. It tried to get some funding to investigate (physiological and clinical) effects, but no joy. I (personal opinion) think that the effects are real - at least in part. Not sure that every claim that is made is supported by the limited evidence, but I would not write it off. Sorry don't have the full answer. Tim

luisef258
luisef258

Hello Georgi About 15 years ago I used a DEEP OSCILLATION device from Physiomed for a month to "testing" it (http://www.physiomed.de/en/products/deep-oscillation-evident- aesthetics/). At the time, he did not have an applicator like today. It was the therapist's hands, to which ram an electrode was attached, that in direct contact with the patient (that held the 2nd electrode) applied the current, like a massage. Of course a month of use is not nough to decide a purchase and much less to incorporate into the clinical arsenal. The large lack of research articles on the subject also weighed on the decision. The only thing I can say is that the sensation it causes in the patient is very pleasant, relaxing. Its physiological and clinical effects, I do not know nor proved, of course. Today I hold the same opinion, without papers I do not use it clinically . Hope it helps

gvpetrov223
gvpetrov223

It is exactly the thing from the link from prof. Watson's reply. They gave me one for test. It is completely preprogrammed. The feeling is like you move a vibrating smartfone on the skin. Do you think it does something from the claims?

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Think it is this one ????? https://www.physioequipment.co.uk/physio-equipment/deep-oscillation/ Let us know so that we can be sure before start making comments Tim

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

What thing Georgi?

1-8 of 8

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: