The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Electrical Muscle stimulation for fine motor function

Will it be beneficial to commence electrical muscle stimulation (using MH6000 Combo) on a 22 month old baby(with left hemiparesis) to achieve fine motor function on the left hand? What are the required parameters? Thanks in advance

Fasuba Ayobami Debowale

1 month ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

egbonfasuba264
egbonfasuba264

@Cliff, thank you for your input. I will keep you posted.

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Dear Fasuba I am afraid I don't know the MH6000 unit or the type of current and paramters it uses Personally Ihave only used NMES (Chattanooga Compex) with one child of that age. He was a two year old with functional unilateral Talipes. One of your main issues is compliance and understanding. Fortunatley his parents were bery willing, understanding and prepared to use it daily while distracting the child with sweets or his favourite TV programmes. They used it every day for three months and surgery was avoided That said we were accepting more gross movemets that fine motor control so I cannot advise you in this What I would say is that you are not likely to cause harm so with informed parental consent it may be worth trying I would be interested to learn how you get on Best wishes Cliff

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: