The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Gel electrodes maintenance

Hello,

I would like to know what is the best way to maintain gel electrodes? Also, is 10 applications maximum per gel electrodes set (if using TENS or IFC)? I am using small TENS unit, placing 2 electrodes per application, prior placing on skin i clean and inspect skin, but it seem to me that after 6-7 applications they are not sticking good on the skin. Any advice on this topic is very welcome.

Regards,

Viktor

Viktor Tulic

5 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

viktortulic544
viktortulic544

UPDATE:

Just wanted to update others on this topic, when i first asked a question in this forum regarding gel electrodes maintenance, i was already using gel electrodes size 50x90 for 4-5 application, and after some good tips i tried to apply water drops on one pair of electrodes, and gel for carbon electrodes (water based, same as US gel), that came with tens unit on the other pair. What i noticed is that when i apply gel over electrodes in small circular motion with finger, making sure i cover every part of electrode, the next day they are more hydrated and they stick very well, compared to other pair where i used few drops of water and also spread it in circular motion over the whole area of electrode. Currently i am on 10th application and electrodes where i applied gel look very hydrated, gel stick well and the el. current is deployed through them well. Before using this method i had problem with gel electrodes after 6-7 applications. I am using 1 set of electrodes per patient so as soon as next one comes in, i open a new pack.

Thank you all for participating.

Regards,

Viktor

Last updated 5 months ago

viktortulic544
viktortulic544

Thank you for your input Admin220, that is interesting solution, i know there is a gel for electrodes that can be used on carbon ones, so that gel is the same composition as ultrasound one?

Regards,

Viktor

admin220
admin220

Hi Viktor, yes water works to help maintain the adhesiveness but also ultra sound gel works very well and also helps transmit the current. I have vacuum suction on my interferential and long term a lot better than pads and a worthwhile investment.

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

I am in full agreement with the advice you have been offered Cliff

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

I am in full agreement with the advice you have been offered Cliff

viktortulic544
viktortulic544

Thank you Luis and Prof Watson for your valuable information and your time, it is much appriciated. I will try to use few drops of water as advised and see how long the quality and stickiness will hold. I am using Globus tens and electrodes that were included with tens unit.

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Viktor. Thank you for your query - interesting one that I actually get asked quite a few times. There are a couple of things that I can mention. Firstly, as Luis mentions, a few drops of water will help to maintain the hydrogel state and additionally, replacing them in full contact with the supplied backing sheet between applications will assist. I would normally damen the surface with a wettened finger immediately after application and before putting them back onto the plastic film. Secondly, if the electrodes degrade (which they will with time), then the current path through the electrode surface will not be 'evenly distributed' and in fact, if there is a part of the gel that has dried out, the current will not likely flow through it - the result is that all the current will pass through the more dampened gel - possibly creating high current density areas - and this can be uncomfortable for the patient and if bad enough, can cause a skin burn. Last point is one of economy. I reuse electrodes at least 10 times (remember that they are designed to be multi use but single patient electrodes - use them over and over on the SAME patient). Anyway, the lower the cost, the less number of times you will be able to re-use - on average. My own tendency is to buy at low cost and accept their limited re-use life span - but I know many therapists who would rather spend a bit more and get to use them more times. Any help?? Tim

luisef258
luisef258

Hi Viktor In reality, in my experience, I also realized that the adhesiveness of the gel electrodes has a short duration. Sometimes rehydration with a few drops of water helps, but ..... On the other hand there are other factors to take into account besides the gel chemistry: everything is economy ..... :-( We have to buy new ones, to keep the wheels spinning! Best regards Luís

1-9 of 9

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: