The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Hands free laser

I'm looking to purchase a laser for the clinic.

ASA do a few which are hands free on an extendable arm - the MPHI5 and M6 which even has a robotic programmable head. Both are relatively expensive (the M6 prohibitively so for my budget) class IV devices with a power output of 3.3w.

The research on effectiveness specific to these machines is hardly conclusive or comprehensive.

Is there any benefit to this type of application or is a handheld probe more effective due to pressure application?

Kevin Peter Teasdale

1 month ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

L.Laakso335
L.Laakso335

Dear Kevin, In the end, my advice is dependent on what you seek to treat. It is correct to say that the Class 4 lasers used for photobiomodulation (PBM) therapy do not yet have a robust evidence-base. I'm open-minded, yet question the need for high-powered/high-intensity light (with probably sub-clinical rise in tissue temperature) when I know that the lower powers work very well (without the risk of tissue warming in the vast majority of cases).

So, back to what is it that you mostly treat? If it's mostly musculoskeletal conditions in a private practice then that would be different to say lots of pressure wounds in an aged care facility, or a mainly lymphoedema-focused practice. If it's musculoskeletal practice, then I most heartily recommend an infrared wavelength, probably in the range of 810-830nm with a reasonably high power output (say 50-100mW) which is where the evidence mostly lies at present and is congruent with the absorption spectra. I have been using 904nm mid-powered lasers recently with good effect on Msk conditions as well. My personal opinion regarding hands-free is based on the following discussion.

Photons will be reflected at the skin interface. Therefore, not only will you lose an increasing percentage of your photonic energy the further away from your target tissue that you hold the device (depending on Class of laser and the diode divergence) but you will also diminish the amount of photons that may reach the target lesion by having the diode situated away from the skin surface. In the end, you want to optimise the amount of photons that reach your target site thus increasing the potential for a beneficial clinical outcome. So, holding the PBM device stationery and in contact (if possible) and at 90 degrees over the target tissue is better than less accurate methods of application. Scanning of PBM over large areas for example, means that theoretically you will reduce the amount of photons that will affect any given amount of target tissue during the overall treatment duration.

Perhaps these factors (scanning, and at a distance) is why some of the new Class 4 laser need to be of a higher power - that is, to overcome the issue of photon loss. Something to reflect on - pardon the pun!

Liisa Laakso

fisioniki289
fisioniki289

Cliff Eaton said:

Sorry Kevin I am unaware of these units so cannot comment. I will look out for them at MEDICA and if I find them get more information for you

Have you been in Medica?! I was there too! :D For demonstration in a Booth

kevinteasdale326
kevinteasdale326

Hi Cliff.

Thanks for your response.

I'll have a look at HPL as well. Do you have any particular manufacturers that you could recommend?

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Kevin just spoken to a guy who knows a bit about the ASA products. So, according to him, these hands free unit, scan the tissue and then deliver small bursts of energy. The MAXIMUM level is 3.3W given in bursts and then it goes to 0W. So, in effect the average doasage given is only a few milliwatts Personally I have never been a fan of LLLT, but I am a convert for HPL (15W). This despite the paucity of quality evidence for HPL but based purely on anecdotal clinical evidence I hope that is of some small help

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Sorry Kevin I am unaware of these units so cannot comment. I will look out for them at MEDICA and if I find them get more information for you

1-6 of 6

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: