The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Heart disease contraindication TENS/EMS

Could anyone assist with information or point to references regarding heart condition contraindication. Thank you

Rick Rowan

6 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Rick. Both Alison and Sandy make an important point - 'heart conditions' can cover everything from a minimal murmur through to atrial fibrillation and everything in between. There can be concerns when TENS is placed in the thoracic area when the patient has an unstable cardiac status, but it is not a 'blanket' contraindication - so TENS to the knee when someone has a history of MI 5 years ago would not be an issue. Do you have anything 'additional' that would help to make a valid response or was it a general query - iu.e. not pertaining to a specific patient?? Tim

Dr Sandy Rennie
Dr Sandy Rennie

I have to agree with my colleague Alison Hoens. Without more information about your scenario, I believe the contrainidcations & precautions for TENS/NMES are best covered in the Physiotherapy Canada journal from 2010 (62:5 Special Issue).

Prof Alison Hoens
Prof Alison Hoens

I am uncertain as to what you mean by 'heart condition' e.g. uncontrolled BP or arrhythmia or pacemaker etc. and thus I am unable to direct you to specific references. You may wish to refer to the resource on contraindications/precautions for EPAs which is available through University of Toronto press http://www.utpjournals.press/doi/10.3138/ptc.62.5

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: