The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Is oral hydrocortisone a contraindication to ESWT for plantar fasiopathy?

We have a patient who takes 10mg x 2 a day and 5 mg x 1 a day of hydrocortisone following removal of a brain tumour over 10 years ago. Is there a risk that the plantar fascia may rupture with ESWT?

Anne-Marie Hutchison

2 weeks ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

luisef258
luisef258

Anne-Marie. It has been reported in the literature that Shockwaves have a proinflammatory effect. Therefore when used concomitantly with anti-inflammatories these may restrain or abolish its therapeutic effect. Like Cliff and Tim I do not think that is a contraindication in these cases, but it is surely a precaution which warns to the risk of bias in the results and thus question its usefulness.

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Anne-Marie. Agree with Cliff in that the current opinions would say that oral hydrocortisone does not constitute a contraindication when it comes to radial shockwave nor indeed low dose focussed. My understanding is that it is still an issue to consider with high dose focussed, but I doubt that is what you are planning to use?? Tim

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Dear Anne-Marie If you refer to the ISMST website also DIGEST (German speaking) you will find the recent concensus statement on both indications and contraindications for Shockwave You will see that for low energy Radial Pressure Wave ( RSWT) or low energy Focused Shockwave (FSWT) any type of hydrocortisone is NOT contraindicated I hope that helps Cliff

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: