The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Shortwave for a Liver Cyst??

A patient has contacted me directly with this query. I do not have a definitive answer so opening it to the forum to see if anybody else has a view/experience/knowledge. The patient writes thus: " . . . I have a huge Simple Liver Cyst (17x15x14) It had been suggested that this could be reduced considerably with short wave therapy 'safely'. I have never heard of this and researched it (as one can these days!) I am approaching surgery 'deroofing' which sucks the liquid out (2-3 litres) Ideally I would prefer to avoid surgery but this is a 'rare' sized cyst. . . . . " I appreciate that it is difficult to comment on specific patient cases, BUT I am asking if anyone out there knows anything about using shortwave in a case like this - not something that I have come across previously. Thank you

Prof Tim Watson

6 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Ahhhh Professor. Thankyou so much for your interest it's really kind of you. I have my op on 6th. Will let you know if 'the old gal' survives

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Prof Tim Watson said:

Geraldine. It would seem that I am not alone in never having heard about this treatment. If it is used, it appears to be very marginal, so my inclination would be not to go there (which was my hunch in the first place). Sorry not to have found a magic solution for you, but at least we tried. Tim

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Geraldine. It would seem that I am not alone in never having heard about this treatment. If it is used, it appears to be very marginal, so my inclination would be not to go there (which was my hunch in the first place). Sorry not to have found a magic solution for you, but at least we tried. Tim

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Dinesh Verma said:

Hi Prof - Apologies ...no such exposure / experience.

Hello Mr Verna All very confusing this treatment. Think I had better not bother. Very kind regards Geraldine

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Prof Richard Liebano said:

I am not aware of any indication of shortwave diathermy for reducing cyst.

Thankyou so much for taking an interest. Kind regards Geraldine

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Dr Almandil. Again, thankyou. So informative.. and yes I'm not sure I want to compromise the treatment of my surgeon. My thoughts were that if the liver fluid refills then .... what? Maybe an ultrasound and then short wave therapy...... oh dear???? I will,,, without doubt listen and learn from these discussions. Thanks again. Geraldine

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Dr Maryam Almandil said:

Dear Geraldine

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no literature that examined the effects of shortwave on liver cyst except for one very old Hungarian study that was done in 1976 (no English transcript is available, hence no useful information can be drawn from it).

However, I would think that since shortwave was shown by studies to reduce oedema and increase the rate of interstitial fluid drainage, and given that simple liver cyst is a pathological condition characterised by accumulation of bile like fluid, my assumption is that shortwave may have been suggested by your acupuncturist to help in reabsorption of fluids.

Personally, and based on my clinical experience with shortwave, this will not be my treatment choice. Lacking scientific support and taken into consideration the large size of the cyst, one must consider possible adverse or latent effects of the treatment.

Dr Maryam Almandil
Dr Maryam Almandil

Dear Geraldine

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no literature that examined the effects of shortwave on liver cyst except for one very old Hungarian study that was done in 1976 (no English transcript is available, hence no useful information can be drawn from it).

However, I would think that since shortwave was shown by studies to reduce oedema and increase the rate of interstitial fluid drainage, and given that simple liver cyst is a pathological condition characterised by accumulation of bile like fluid, my assumption is that shortwave may have been suggested by your acupuncturist to help in reabsorption of fluids.

Personally, and based on my clinical experience with shortwave, this will not be my treatment choice. Lacking scientific support and taken into consideration the large size of the cyst, one must consider possible adverse or latent effects of the treatment.

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Think I need help with replying to forums?? I'm still researching this Liver problem!?! The acupuncturist that has recommended Short Wave Therapy thinks,,, due to the size (huge) Have it 'deroofed' (general anaesthetic) then ultrasound and then S/W/T if the liver starts to refill. Going to follow Surgeons advice for now.

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

News to me - sorry

deanaalliban256
deanaalliban256

Thank you for your kind responses. Professor Watson, thank you for your interest. I went to see an acupuncturist locally who (he says) has successfully treated patients (with liver cysts) with shortwave therapy, I have asked for testimonials. I am concerned about compromising my treatment with my liver surgeon. This cyst is a WHAPPA ! Operation to deroof cyst is 6th June unless another alternative can be found. My Surgeon has not heard of this shortwave treatment?? I have never been part of an online forum so hope I'm doing ok! Thanks again. Geraldine

Prof Richard Liebano
Prof Richard Liebano

I am not aware of any indication of shortwave diathermy for reducing cyst.

Dinesh Verma
Dinesh Verma

Hi Prof - Apologies ...no such exposure / experience.

1-14 of 14

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: