The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

US vs LASER. Which is the best choice if I can purchase only one?

Which modality has the most clinically meaningful effect? Meaningful means a change in symptoms that allows better function in a timely fashion. For example, if the modality has a statistical significance of decreasing VAS pain by 1.4/10 after 30 ten minute treatments...this is not relevant enough to justify charging patients for so many visits.

Bryce Kelly

10 months ago

Back to Modalities Channel

Post a reply

fisioniki289
fisioniki289

I quote TOTALLY Mr.Cliff Eaton... and I Agree with Mr Verma.

The topic is really big and I try to think about at one aspect...the power. The LLLT is 25mW? The US is 3W/cmq? Buy the US... if the LLLT is 100mW maybe is a good deal.

But keep in mind...instrumental therapies are like hardware, for every purpose you have to choose the right one. LLLT and US both work, and both have a specific field where they give better and faster results. Maybe US is more versatile, is a more mechanic therapy with and higher placebo effect: it heat up, LLLT give no "feedback", the patient feels nothing during the therapy. US can be used for superficial and "deep" problem, tendons, ligaments, TRIGGER POINTS... Edema, Hematoma... LLLT also too, but even if 100mW, is more superficial and requires TIME.

The analgesic effect with LLLT sometimes is amazing, but you need to work at low frequency and as consequence, increase the time for guarantee the dosage...

US or LLLT... depends on how you work, the timing, the kind of patients...

Who wrote has both, nay , I have 2 LLLT (25-100mW) and 1 US :) But at the beginning, i've worked always with the US: more heating, even pain...HIGHER PLACEBO EFFECT and better feedback from the patient, because is hard to accept an instrumental therapy that is SILENT.

catherinethomas101272
catherinethomas101272

Depends on the condition.

Dr Ethne Nussbaum
Dr Ethne Nussbaum

I agree with Dinesh Verma. Also to keep in mind is your treatment goal. Do you only want to treat symptoms, e.g. pain? If so, you might do well with laser in the short term. But long term I believe one must address the underlying condition. US with proper parameters can increase extensibility of dense tissue (scar tissue such as tendon adhesions, etc) & combined (immediate) with stretching & followed by active exs can increase ROM - pain reduction is then secondary benefit. Low intensity pulsed US promotes healing of soft tissue & bone - again pain reduction is a secondary benefit. I have seen impressive softening of scar tissue in the hand using 830 nm laser diode at 30 J per cm sq. I have not been able to achieve good results on deeper tissue problems.

Dinesh Verma
Dinesh Verma

Hi Kelly

Its hard to ENDORSE ..One Modality OVER another...Also - We cannot generalize effects of Pain relief IN GENERAL - Unless we review - pain relief by Modality A versus Modality B for any Specific condition. Mechanism of Actions for Each modality are different and this must be Kept in Mind while selecting them for EACH Specific application.
US and Low Power LASER may both have their place - in different stages of pain management within Same condition . It is not uncommon - to use different modalities - for same condition as we evolve within pain stages... !

vetphysio.herbots113
vetphysio.herbots113

I feel thé same experience in thé 'field', but would also mention thé extra effect on lymphatics with laser. Do you agree.

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

It has been reported that Laser therapy is the only one to promote the production of ATP to assist the healing process. Transfering the Oxygen molecules from HbO into the affected tissue. This hypothesis infers that it will be most affective on vascular tissue. Where as US has been shown to be most effective on avascular tissue such as ligaments and tendons My personal issue with laser is that LLLT requires a long treatment time to provide enough energy for a therapeutic value. The depth of penetration is also a subject of debate. Therefore, practically in clinic a High Power Laser (HPL) is warranted but at a price! So there is an argument to have both! :) Personally if I could only choose one I would select HPL for acute injuries. I would support this with Shokwave for chronic conditions

1-7 of 7

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: